domingo, 24 de mayo de 2009

Sociology (?)

Hello again. Today I’m going to tell you about my career. I study sociology, and this is my fourth year into this. The reason I wanted to become a sociologist, in first place, was the usual expectation of becoming a professional, and of course, the interest in social studies. Sociology was the career that best fitted my interests at that time, especially when I thought it was the best social science that mixed mathematics and history (my former interests in high school). After taking the PSU, I realized I could study in the University that I wanted, so everything went perfect.

Even though I find that sociology has a very interesting view of the society and a special way of approaching to its subject of study, I think that after a while I will not dedicate my time into it. Every new student of this career wants to change the world, stop with world poverty or hunger, lets say at least change the world as it is known (lets hope for best). But after a while, they realize that the world can’t be changed, and every beautiful idea leads to disenchantment (of course this excludes the real revolutionaries and the most idealistic ones, students that actually aren’t the big majority). And lets say that this happened to me, and now I just want to get my title and find something that can get my attention long enough so I can live happy doing it.

Anyway, sociology is a very interesting career, and even though I don’t see myself working as a sociologist, all the information and theories that I’ve learnt are and will be useful in my life. A sociologist becomes handy every time that a social phenomenon must be explained, and of course, every time that the other social sciences can’t give a reasonable explanation to it. We must always keep in mind the perspective in which sociologists approach to their object of study, because (as every other science) has its own parameters and points of view, that of course, are different from the other sciences (if not they wouldn’t be differentiated). The professionals of this area must, in order to be useful in the future, manage technology so the actual tools can be improved (think of information processors, for example). Besides that, this career has extended its boundaries to a lot of places that where unknown before, leading to specialized knowledge inside it. This needs professionals specialized in this new knowledge, and not only sociologists. The interdisciplinary work is becoming very trendy right now, and it seems to be the best way of working in social sciences. For example, the sociology of health as a sub discipline inside sociology, has existed for a long time (let’s say more than 50 years), but it needs, in order to create pertinent knowledge and become a useful tool to understand the health systems, to work with health professionals and patients. One of my favorite subjects is this one, because sociology becomes necessary in order to understand the social facts that involve health and sickness, thinking beyond the “cultural” perspective of the anthropologists. This perspective also includes themes like equity and the social determinants of health, which in my opinion give a new meaning to what we call health.

1 comentario:

  1. Valentina,
    You’ve written a very insightful post, indeed. I´m sure your fellow classmates will enjoy reading it. Keep up the good work!
    Here’s just a few minor corrections:
    (in first place): to begin with / first of all. (You finish “in first place” in a competition).
    (lets say): let’s say ( let us say)
    I can live happy: Say: I’m happy, she seems/looks/sounds happy. But I live happily. she works happily, etc. Statge verbs (be,seem,look,sound,smell,taste,etc. + adjective)
    ( [ ] has its own parameters): subject missing. (sociology?)

    ResponderEliminar