miércoles, 29 de abril de 2009

A PHOTOGRAPH THAT I LIKE

Hi! We meet again. Today I'm going to write about a photo that I like.

It was part of the World Press Photo contest, the best known, biggest and prestigiuos anual photography contest. This is an independent organization that promotes the "photojournalism" and the free exchange of information, especially phtos, all over the world. Once a year the jury selects the winning pictures among all the ones the WPP received in the year before, including pictures sent from all around the world.

The one I selected is a very shocking one, so be prepared. This was taken by Eddie Adams (he's from the USA and worked in the Associated Press agency) in Saigon, South Vietnam, on February the 1st of 1968. This photo shows how the South Vietnam national police chief Nguyen Ngoc Loan executes a suspected Viet Cong memeber.

The context of this picture is the Vietnam war, when South Vietnam was alied with USA, and the north did the same with the URRSS (keep on your mind the cold war context as well). The Viet Cong was a Comunist guerrilla in the South Vietnam, that's why they were chased down by the north americans and the south vietnamise local police.

I think that the Wold Press Photo does an important labour promoting the free press, especially when it comes to show truths like this one. Probably the north americans didn't know much about what was happening in Vietnam (except the thounsands of deaths), and this picture showed them the kind of cruelty that was going on. So the main reason I like the picture is because it exhibits a scene that most of us wouldn't like to watch, and that we don't even imagine, but does happen. We must always be informed of what's going on around the world, especially when it involves the Human Rights.




www.worldpressphoto.org

1 comentario:

  1. Valentina,
    Once more I want to congratulate you on writing such an inspired post. Good job!
    Please see some corrections and notes.
    A PHOTOGRAPH THAT I LIKE
    Hi! We meet again. Today I'm going to write about a photo that I like.

    It was part of the World Press Photo contest, the best known, biggest and prestigiuos anual photography contest. This is an independent organization that promotes ( ) "photojournalism" and the free exchange of information, especially phOtos, all over the world. Once a year the jury selects the winning pictures among all the ones the WPP received in the year before, including pictures sent from all around the world.

    The one I selected is a very shocking one, so be prepared. This was taken by Eddie Adams (he's from the USA and worked in the Associated Press agency) in Saigon, South Vietnam, on February the 1st of 1968. This photo shows how the South Vietnam national police chief Nguyen Ngoc Loan executes a suspected Viet Cong member.

    The context of this picture is the Vietnam war, when South Vietnam was alied with USA, and the north did the same with the URRSS (keep on your mind the cold war context as well). The Viet Cong was a Comunist guerrilla in the South Vietnam, that's why they were chased down by the North Americans and the South Vietnamise local police.

    I think that the WoRld Press Photo does an important labour promoting ( ) free press, especially when it comes to showING truths like this one. Probably the North Americans didn't know much about what was happening in Vietnam (except FOR the thousands of deaths), and this picture showed them the kind of cruelty that was going on. So the main reason I like the picture is because it exhibits a scene that most of us wouldn't like to watch, and that we don't even imagine, but does happen. We must always be informed of what's going on around the world, especially when it involves ( ) Human Rights.


    Notes:
    a) Some expressions ending in ‘to’ add ‘ing’ to the verb that follows when ‘to’ is a preposition. Ex. when it comes to showING… / I'm looking forward to seeing you soon / You must get used to working long hours.

    b) Compare : involves human rights (in general)/ involves the human rights abuses/situation/Commission, etc, (in particular)

    ResponderEliminar